Alexandra Corwin Aguilar is a shareholder with Montgomery & Andrews, P.A. She began her legal career with Montgomery & Andrews, P.A. in 1995. Her practice focuses on defending hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, long term care facilities, physicians and a broad range of healthcare providers in medical negligence, wrongful death, personal injury and corporate negligence claims.
Her experience in healthcare litigation includes defending healthcare facilities such as Physicians Plaza Surgery Center, Miners’ Colfax Medical Center, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute and Alta Vista Regional Hospital in claims involving allegations of corporate negligence, negligent credentialing and negligent hiring, training and supervision of medical staff.
Ms. Corwin Aguilar provides legal advice to various healthcare facilities regarding governance, provider credentialing and peer review. She also counsels clients regarding regulatory compliance, including review of medical staff bylaws, policies and procedures, provider employment agreements, CEO/Medical Director contracts and lease agreements.
She also represents and counsels healthcare providers in matters involving professional regulation and licensing as well as professional board actions. In the reimbursement arena, she has assisted providers in billing disputes with third party payers.
During her legal career, Ms. Corwin Aguilar has represented parties in over a dozen civil and criminal trials in state and federal courts. In addition to her current practice concentrations, she has represented parties in commercial litigation, contract negotiations and real property cases.
Ms. Corwin Aguilar is admitted to practice in New Mexico, United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. She has three reported cases in New Mexico and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
Juris Doctor, 1995
- Associate Editor for the Ecology Law Quarterly
- Received the Jurisprudence Award for Legal Issues in Biomedical Ethics
University of California, Berkeley, School of Optometry
Doctor of Optometry, 1989
- Nikon Scholarship Award
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology, 1985
Throughout her legal career, Ms. Corwin Aguilar has maintained New Mexico license to practice as an optometric physician and enjoys an occasional break from law practice to see patients.
- Morales v. San Miguel Hospital Corporation
- Novak v. University of New Mexico Hospital
- Lucero v. Las Vegas Medical Center
- Morgan v. Physicians Plaza Surgery Center, et al.
- Community Health Systems, Inc.
- New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute
- University of New Mexico Hospital
- Alta Vista Regional Hospital
- Board of Directors, La Familia Medical Center, Santa Fe, New Mexico 2012-2014
- Board of Directors, Equal Access to Justice, 2011 – present
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association (ABA), member, 1995 to present
- ABA, Health Law Section, Vice Chair Healthcare Litigation
- ABA, Health Law Section, Vice Chair Distance Learning Committee
- National Hispanic Bar Association, 2005 to present
- Defense Research Institute, 2005 to present
- New Mexico State Bar Association, 1995 to present
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association, 1996 to present
- New Mexico Medical Review Commission, 1999 to present
- Appointed to New Mexico Supreme Court Rules of Criminal Procedure for the District Courts Committee, 2004-2007
- Appointed to ABA, Standing Committee on Medical Professional Liability, 2013 to present
- Appointed to New Mexico First Judicial District Judicial Selection Committee, 2002, 2012- 2014