Tax-exempt organizations are often held to higher standards and more extensive scrutiny and government regulation than are many commercial enterprises. Montgomery & Andrews’ business attorneys assist non-profit clients in navigating the maze of state and federal regulations governing tax exemption and charitable solicitations. Once operational, we help clients to develop and implement the types of best practice policies that attract donors and safeguard the client’s tax-exempt status. Our clients range from small non-profits to well-endowed entities engaging in cutting edge “venture philanthropy.”
- Incorporating and obtaining tax exempt status for new organizations.
- Preparing employment, information disclosure and retention, conflicts of interest, whistleblower, and other operational and board policies.
- Advising boards of directors about their fiduciary duties and other board governance issues.
- Representing charities in investigations by attorneys general.
- Advising charities on issues relating to private inurement and private benefit.
- Advising entities with respect to general intellectual property issues.
- Contract review and negotiation.